2.11.09

I didn't know that I could have a statistically worse season in football than when i played in high school

but my job has forced me to end my flag football season. Now when i say "forced" i mean that schedules conflict and i don't really have a choice but to take the job route.

So breaking down statistics (roughly) of my previous two football season, it seemed logical that i would be able to do better than my senior season.

2007- 3 tackles, 1 pancake over three games (note: i missed every varsity game in the fall due to a foot and thumb injury)
2008- 10 catches for 170+ yards, 1 rush for 65 yards, 1 TD, 8 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 pass deflections over four games

Now logically i felt pretty good going into this year. Had a good team together and what not.

2009- 1 tackle, 1 pass deflection over two games

I really don't know why, but right now i feel like this season is far more of a failure than my senior year. I know it's just football and it's just a game, but honestly for me it goes deeper than that. It's a proving thing for me. I didn't get the chance to play my senior year and that stuck with me. It just seemed like i left something unfinished and never satisfied a desire. Last year, while statistically i did fairly well, we went 1-3. I still felt that burning desire to win and play.

So two games into the season, we find ourselves at 0-2 and i basically have to quit. And if you know me, i hate quitting. Especially football. This feels almost like my senior year. Only difference is that i am more than physically fit to play this go around.

I turn in my title of captain, i walk away from the game. I know. It's just intramurals. But still. Disappointed is an understatement. It'd be one thing if i knew i had helped contributed to the team in some way. But literally, I have nothing to show for my work. I was the target of one pass in the two games and that was under thrown by about five yards. In the second game, i played a total of less than ten snaps. This is the definition of sports failure in my book. It'd be one thing if i had a catch, a touchdown, a sack , an interception, anything. But i don't. I walk away empty handed.

Here's to already longing for next season...

No comments: